North Ward | Ava Heights | Dufferin
Outdoor activities, cultural diversity, wonderful restaurants, kayaking, fishing, bike trails and affordable real estate.
Welcome to one of Branford's oldest and historically rich areas where the streets are lined with mature trees and there are stately Century homes to be purchased. Double brick construction and wonderful wrap around porches for relaxing and quiet low traffic streets add to the appeal of this centrally located neighbourhood. Some of the homes are 2 1/2 stories and still boast original slate roofs. There are approximately 250 properties in the Dufferin Neighbourhood which currently hold the heritage residential designation including the home of Pauline Johnson who was a famous writer and poet that is listed in the Brantford registry as residing at 7 Dufferin Avenue in 1885.
Dufferin area also has places of interest such as the
Chandler Harris Heritage House and is home to the Ontario school for the blind opened on May 1, 1872 with 11 students and is still operating today as the W. Ross MacDonald school.
Dufferin park provides wonderful opportunities for lawn bowling and afternoon games of tennis and the Brant curling club is located within easy walking distance.
Dufferin Avenue is the former home of Brantford Catholic High School which was originally opened in 1941. In 1970-1971, the school was relocated to it’s current location on Paris Road and renamed St. John’s College. In 1991, enrolment exceeded 1700 students. This necessitated the opening of Assumption College in September, 1992, as well as Holy Trinity Catholic High School in Simcoe, Ontario in 2001.
The Glenhyrst Art Gallery is located on Ava Road within a large park on the banks of the Grand River. The art gallery is the former residence of Edmund Cockshutt, a prominent Industrialist. The property was bequeathed to the City of Brantford with the intent that it serve the cultural and artistic needs of the community. The park-like setting surrounding the buildings is well manicured and has hosted countless wedding photo shoots.
Brant Avenue is located near the Lorne Bridge and runs parallel to the Grand River and is a heritage conservation district, designated under the Ontario Heritage Act. Brant Avenue is the site of large residences that were constructed for prominent 19th century Brantford citizens.
AREA SCHOOLS :
Christ the King School
Lansdowne-Costain Public School
Brantford Collegiate Institute (Secondary School)
St. John's College (Catholic Secondary School)
Assumption College School (Roman Catholic Secondary School)
CHECK AREA SCHOOL RANKINGS
AREA SHOPPING :
Lynden Park Mall
Blue Dog Coffee Roasters
Super Bowl 99
Coffee Culture Cafe and Eatery
AREA ENTERTAINMENT :